Poker Rules: It’s Not Very Difficult
Poker is the name of a family of card games in which the players usually play with a 52 card set and try to create the combination (poker hand) with the greatest possible value from five cards. In order to create a little tension, the poker players place a more or less valuable stake (chips, money etc.) on the chance of winning their own combination per round, of course without knowing exactly which combinations the other players are holding.
Poker Game Rules
If you really want to play poker, you cannot ignore the technical terms. We would like to introduce you to the most important ones here. Rules of poker are not so difficult.
Let`s look at the terms used throughout the poker game
- Dealer – This is the name of the player who deals the cards in the current round. After each round, the player to the left of the dealer takes on the role of the dealer. If a player takes on the role of the dealer for the entire game (as in a casino, poker room or online poker), attention must be paid to which players have to pay the “blinds” in the respective round (usually the two players on the left from the dealer). In order not to lose the overview here, a “theoretical” dealer is marked with a small disc, the so-called “dealer button”. The dealer button is passed clockwise to the next player after each round.
- Blind – The mandatory bet for each round. This is put into the “pot” by one or more players before the first cards of a hand are dealt. Usually, these bets are paid by the two players to the left of the “dealer” or “dealer button”.
- Small Blind– The smaller of the two mandatory bets.
- Big Blind – The larger of the two mandatory bets.
- Raise – Increase the bet of another player.
- Check – Also known as “pushing”. If no bet has been made in around and you don’t want to bet anything yourself (for the moment), you can “check” and thus pass the scepter on to the next player.
- Fold – If you don’t want to match another player’s bet, you have to “pass”. The game round ends for the player who surrenders his cards. All bets made up to that point are lost.
- Call – Call and / or even raise a player’s previous bet.
- All-in – When a player wagers all of his remaining “assets” (chips, money, etc.) in one fell swoop, this is called “all in”.
- Showdown – All players still in play at this point turn over their cards. The player to the left of the “dealer” or “dealer button” starts, the others follow in clockwise order. If there is only one player left, there will be no “showdown”. In this case, the player can take all bets without showing his cards.
- Center Pot – The Center Pot or “Main Pot” is the main pot in which the stakes of a game round are collected. If several players go all-in with different stakes, at least one side pot must be formed in addition to the center pot.
- Side Pot – A “side pot” is formed whenever a player goes “all-in” with his bet but cannot draw level with the last raise. In this case, the player only plays for the “center pot”, whereas the other players continue to play for both the “center pot” and the “side pot”.
- Split Pot – If two or more players have an equivalent combination in hand at the showdown, a “Split Pot” occurs. All bets are divided equally by the number of winners in the round.
The Different Poker Combinations
Now, we are moving to the most important thing to know before the beginning of the round of the game of poker – poker combinations. They are as follow:
- Royal flush. Five cards of the same suit, from 10 to ace. One of the popular ones in poker rules;
- Straight flush. Five cards of one suit ranked in ascending order;
- Quadruple – 4 of a Kind. Four cards of the same rank;
- Full house. A pair and your three of a kind of different rank;
- Flush. Five cards of the same suit of any rank;
- Straight. Five cards of ascending rank of any suit;
- Three of a Kind – 3 of a Kind. Three cards of the same rank;
- Two pairs – two pairs. Two cards each with the same rank;
- A couple – Pair. Two cards of the same rank;
- Highest card – high card. The highest card counts.
Knowing the basic game terms and the combinations that can be formed, the game is to be successful one way or another.