Poker hands: which are better?
The main goal when choosing a poker hand is to make the highest possible combination of five cards. In this way, you are aiming to win the pot when the cards will be revealed and there will come a showdown. Another way to win the pot is to bluff, but even in this case, it is useful to correctly assess the strength of the opponent’s hand.
What cards are better
In order for one of the hands to have a 2 times higher chance of winning in poker than the other, it must consist of a higher pair of cards than the opponent’s pair. The chances of winning depend not only on the presence of a pair and the seniority of the cards included in it.
How to choose a starting hand:
- Use poker hands chart;
- Pay attention to your opponents;
- Have patience.
Sometimes you will have a lot of bad cards round after round.
Some pocket cards have more potential to win a showdown than others. For example, suited cards poker hands ranked over unsuited cards of the same value. This is due to the possibility of the first to collect a strong flush combination, which in most cases will be a winning one. Also, Texas Hold’em values combinations consisting of connectors-cards that differ from each other by one rank. For example, 9 and 10. These hands have the potential to transform into a straight, which is also a very strong combination.
What cards win most of all
Of course, with a bit of luck, any hand can win but there are some poker hands that have more chance of winning and the order goes:
- In poker, there are two starting hands that are far superior to all other starters in terms of expected returns. You can easily verify this by analyzing your database. After analyzing the multi-million-dollar database of hands, you will come to the conclusion that about half of the total profit is accounted for by AA and KK.
- Next to AA and KK, the most profitable starters are QQ, JJ, and AK. Regardless of what some players may think of QQ and JJ, in reality, these hands are extremely easy to draw and are some of the best starting hands you can get.
- As for the AK, it’s also a great hand. While it is true that you will only be paired with this hand once out of three times, you should not forget that when this happens, you will win a big pot. This is especially true in situations where your opponents will have dominant hands such as AQ, AJ, or AT. All of these hands have huge problems against AK when an ACE is placed on the flop.
- TT, 99, 88, 77, and AQ are the next most profitable starting hands in poker. As you can see, pocket pairs rule in no-limit Hold’em. This is a fact, and as always, you can check it by analyzing your database. If you are a winning player, you will definitely show a profit from each of these hands.
With a 77 or 88, you’ll be disappointed with the flop cards in about 50% of situations. For this reason, you will often have to check-fold these hands. And really, what can you do, for example, with pocket eights, when, say, AQT comes to the flop, and the opponent starts to bet or raise?!